Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Coming back home...

For everyone of us who have left home to go far away, whether it was another state or another country, coming back home is always a bittersweet experience. Some only see the dust and dirt and some can smell the sweet air of home.

I remember the winter breaks when I was in school. We used to travel to Kolkata where the majority of the relatives stayed. Even though we enjoyed the warmer weather and meeting friends, as the vacation drew to its end, my feet will get restless and my heart will start fussing. It was time to go home.

We use to fly to either Silchar or Guwahati in Assam and then drive our little town of Haflong. It wasn't until we reached half way to Harangazao that the whole "I am almost home" feeling would hit.

We used to stop in Harangazao in the little tea shops for a break and as we stretched and took in the fresh and cold mountain air, it will smell like home. Some thing will flutter in my heart and it will not stop until I was back well inside my house.

Now that I am globe trotting, the feeling hits me the moment I step outside the airport. You can hear the buses, cars, honks and occasional crows crowing and all you can think is "Damn, it feels good to be home!" And if you don't feel it that's fine.

But there is that one little ingredient necessary to make any place feel like home. Good memories and friends. As they say, home is where the heart is. If you don't have either about a place, there is little there to make it a home. So whatever is home to you, whether its a place or even just a house - you should have someplace to come home to.

3 comments:

illusions said...

Yes home is where your heart is...I feel this strongly whenever I am in the mountains, no matter how distant but they bring a calm inside me, which I experience only there and no where else...I am in my elements in the mountains, I am sure I was a pahari goat in my last life!!

nishikutumbo said...

home for me surely is where my heart belongs ... and it belongs to Ma and to the dusty trails (not anymore) of a mofussil town ...

Cte said...

Really Missing our little town?? Me too... but life has to go on... just that our stages are shifted, the story keeps going.