Wednesday, August 01, 2007

One day your life will flash before your eyes......


.........Make sure it's worth watching!!

This is my mail signature and almost the credo by which I live. When I stumbled up on this line, it was like love at first sight. I always felt that there is more to life then mere existence. Whether there is a reason why men was supposedly given "intelligence" and put somewhat higher up in the "food" chain, I intend to make the best of it.

As those who read this blog will know, most of my stories are memories from my life. And this is just how I want it to be. Full of memorable memories, twists and turns, ups and downs, new experiences and challenges. While living safe is good, many of us I feel miss out on incredible experiences by NOT taking the chance.

I am not asking people to jump out of an aircraft. Sometimes taking chances are as simple as going to a wedding a little far away or say going for white water rafting, a chopper ride. While accidents can happen, it can happen as much as at home then on such an excursion. Fear should not be a reason to miss out on these.

Take for instance roller coasters. I hate them, my husband loves them. I allowed my self one and only one slip and rode a two minute terror called California Scream in Disney. I definitely did not enjoy it. I like speed, as in a speed boat, fast car. Roller coasters are simply too fast and too nauseating for me to enjoy. But that was an experience I do not regret.

I have also done stuff that would have made my parents scream with terror. Like running across the train tracks to catch a train just before starting and literally climbing on to it like monkey (The girl in front of me ended up using my nose as a step).

There was this one time when we went to see off a friend, whose train got late, ticket was not confirmed, and finally we three girls ended up walking down Majestic Bus Stop in Bangalore (for those who do not know, its a red light area and is notorious for criminal activity) at 1 in the night, looking for an auto. We got wolf whistled by three cops, did not see any criminals though!

As I was saying, all these were very very bad things to do I am sure, but boy they sure were some experience. I am sure I will have people shaking their head and "tsking" over this, and I am sure I will also throw a fit if my kids do any such thing, but I do not regret them. It’s all part of life, taking chances, doing new things, experiences that are strange and sometimes even scary. But you only live once. Make sure it's worth watching - on replay!

1 comment:

illusions said...

Getting over the fear is the easier part personally for me, but social conditioning is what keeps me tied down at times and over the last couple of years when I started to work in a different sector I have always tried to fit in...and that has been a crucial mistake. The reason for doing so in my case was not to stick out as a sore thumb, but what I did not realize that in the process I had stopped speaking my mind and now after two years have recognized this problem and am mending my ways. In a nutshell what I believe in that sometimes we don't even recognize the fact that we are doing things differently than our fundamental ways. Sometimes it is a taken as a cycle of change, but thankfully incidents in my life shook me out of the inertia that I was facing. And last but not the least I totally agree that it is one life and we must live it without a cloud in the sky and definitely not the looming cloud of fear.