Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Mystery gifts in the soya bean box!

Does anyone remember the mystery gifts that came with Nutrela soya chunks and Maltova drinks? It was a big thing with us when we were kids. I remember the anticipation and excitement whenever mom bought a new packet which had the magic words in the box "gift inside"!

Unlike today where these gifts are mainly action figures or tattoos etc, in those days, the gifts were not targeted towards children. So they were often glass bowls and steel spoons which were of no interest to us. But sometimes, we got cool gifts like small mirrors or combs or something equally unique that was not useful to the adults but caught our imagination.

I still carry one of these gifts with me. I got it when I was in class seven or eight. It was small pocket mirror inside a plastic casing shaped like a red heart with an arrow through it. Inside the mirror was round. One used the end of the arrow shaft to pry the lid open. I still have it with me somewhere - not cracks or scratches...just like new!

1 comment:

illusions said...

Ha ha ha wonderful stuff! We do enjoy those small nick nacks and they still make your heart do a flip flop. But nowadays there is a new association that they do like Good night mat comes with a peeler or Hit gives a free plastic soup ladel!!! Can't get this yet.