Monday, March 09, 2009

Have you made your bucket list yet?

In case you are wondering, 'what on earth is a bucket list?', let me explain- A Bucket list is a list of things to do before you kick the bucket i.e. say bye bye to your mortal life (extended explanation for the phrase-ologically challenged people!)

What bought about this comment is the weekend movie "Bucket List", with the unbeatable cast of Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson playing two terminally ill patients who find themselves room-mates in the chemo-ward. Diametrically opposite in temperament and lifestyle, the two bond over the mutual sarcasm of the dying and throwing up sessions post chemo.

And from there blossoms the idea of the bucket list. (Dasvidania popped into my mind here automatically since I saw it recently) While the one writing it merely meant it as a solace, the other one pushes it to the next level and we have two persons, supposed to be dying, actually living it out more then most of us. But the movie is not your regular cheesy feel good flick, saved by the witty dialogue and the two actors delivering them.

The movie isn't about death but life, and living. Reminds me of the song "live like you are dying". An engaging, well made movie that is NOT a tear-jerker. So watch it if you can.

2 comments:

illusions said...

I indeed have my own "Bucket List". as for the film goes, I shall rate it pretty average and almost a total waste of talents such as Jack Nichoson and Morgan Freeman.

Unknown said...

I saw this movie this weekend.. However, this is a movie suited to a good economy, when people's basic needs are taken care of, and they can concentrate on their bucket list.

I find the Buddhist philosophy more attracting, than the magnanimous bucket list. The middle path is sounds much better. Perhaps the contrast is even more striking since I read Siddhartha just a few days ago.