Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Brother Bites Back!!!

Well, I have been egging my brother to comment on my blog and since he had major difficulty trying to post his comments on the blog itself, he mailed it to me. Now I found his reply too good not to pass it onto my readers. This is what he wrote:

Below would be my comments on your zen post. Btw, you never did mention my most important advise - don't get run over by a cow!!

The "reed", also called a "float" was usually made of the spine of a bird feather. The other option that was often resorted too was to cut the stem off of a "phul jharu", which is basically a form of grass, and stick it on the tree. A google search of "Satchari National Park nature trails" will show a picture (bottom right, first page) of "phul jharu" growing in the wild.

The stem of the phul-jharu was also effectively used as the shaft of an arrow. An arrow head on one end, a feather on the other, and a bamboo bow and one was good to go for a day of adventure.

Not naming names, I distinctly remember someone being banned from using a bow and arrow for an "accident". This "accident" involved successfully hitting a building contractor right in the middle of the forehead from considerable distance. (Pssst: He asked fot it!))

Speaking of archery, for that matter anything that takes you out to the woods for extended periods, is very soothing. The outcome of the hunt rarely matters, but sitting 30 feet above the ground on a tree with your bow and arrow, for extended periods, clears my mind and relaxes me. One experiences the same feeling of clarity as one gets from angling. The senses improve to the point that you can smell deer, as long as the wind is right, and so you are acutely aware of the wind directions. You can pick out the sound of squirrels running around a hundred yards away, or the truck gearing down to take a turn 5 miles away. The last thing on your mind is the delivery date of that important project.

Did i get anyone interested in picking up that now again? Am sure Dad would be a little concerned, but he would not mind. Trust me, I asked.

No comments: