Friday, July 13, 2007

Cheeni Jyada (or too much sugar)

For all you Hindi movie buffs, I am sure the title is self-explanatory enough. If not, I am talking about “Cheeni Kum” the romantic comedy starring Amitabh Bachchan and Tabu. Although I was not enthused enough to see it in the theatre, when my hubby popped the CD on a Saturday evening, I thought lets check it out.

The movie started on a refreshingly mature tone, a sugar-free romance really. The story was new, the dialogues were witty and I soon found myself enjoying. Well, it lasted till the second half began. And it was quite horrifying I tell you, to see how the story was butchered in the second half.

There went the whole new tone. Total melodrama, unnecessary twist and long dialogues that was just too sugary. Reminded me of that fond line we often associate with our cricket team – snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

If you are the kind of person who is happy to half the story then go see the first half. If you just want to see Amitabh, well hey see the whole movie. Its all him.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I wud rather call it " Kadva karela" for the second half...it was so bad,I had to watch it over 3 weekends:)

Unknown said...

Dont worry. I will be there to share your sufferings when it comes to such movies...Rest I will think before I leap... :-)